Mexican food is absolutely delicious and it doesn’t have to be a nightmare for your waist. Plus, this vegan dip as spicy or as mild as you want.
When I make it, I use legumes I’ve prepared myself. Here’s how: Soak your beans for 24-48 hours, changing the water a few times. Then cook them in high heat (pressure cooker) until cooked. If you freeze your legumes in bags, they’ll be easy to grab whenever you need them.
Serve this dip with chia or flaxseed crackers, healthy organic corn tortilla chips or with a toasted pita triangles. For a lighter version, serve this dip over a bed of salad and make it a main meal to enjoy!
- 2 (15 oz.) cups of red kidney beans, cooked or canned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 6 tbsp of water
- 1 ¼ cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour then rinsed
- 1/3-1/2 cup (190 mL) water (add 1/3 cup then extra for a runnier consistency)
- 2 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 avocadoes
- ¼ of a small red onion
- 1-2 tbsp. of pickled jalapenos
- 1 tsp. of lime juice
- 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ bunch of coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ½ small red pepper, finely diced
- Coriander leaves, chopped coarsely
- Bean Layer: Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and partially mash with a fork so some of the beans are mushed but you still have whole beans and combine well.
- Sour Cream: Blend ingredients in a high powdered blender until a smooth consistency forms.
- Guacamole: Mash avocados or blend in a blender or food processor and add in onion, jalapeños, lime juice, vinegar, coriander, garlic and salt. Diced the tomato finely and mix in to the guacamole.
- Garnish: Prepare and dice tomatoes, onion, peppers and coriander.
- In a dish layer the beans, then the sour cream, then the guacamole and top with the salsa. If you want to prepare anything ahead, make the beans and sour cream and store separately until you want to serve the dish.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with crackers, healthy chips or as a topping on a salad.
Red kidney beans – black beans, pinto beans
Cashews – macadamia
Pickled jalapenos – fresh jalapenos
Lime juice – Lemon Juice
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.