I love easy and simple meals that are healthy and light that everyone can enjoy. This dish is particularly great because you can tweak it to best suit you and your guests — adding your favorite toppings, herbs and spices. You can even add some lean or organic grass-fed meat or organic poultry. Serve this delicious meal as a great snack or entrée at either lunch or dinnertime.
Here’s another look!
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and leaves separated and dried
- 1 can or box low-sodium black beans or others (garbanzos, kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (150 g) cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced and browned
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms, sliced and browned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Any other toppings you like! (Peppers, broccoli, quinoa, cheese, etc)
- Wash all produce well then prepare as directed.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil over medium-heat and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add each ingredient to its own small bowl.
- To make your taco, start with the romaine lettuce cup, then add desired beans, avocado, and tomatoes and any addition toppings you desire.
- Serve and enjoy. For a heartier meal, include a side of quinoa or roasted sweet potatoes.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3.5g
- Protein 13g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.