Winter soups are oh-so-delicious! What I really love about soups is that they are great vehicles for adding loads of vegetables into your diet.
Beets and celeriac are a unique and surprisingly delicious combination in this soup giving it a zesty, rich, and hearty flavor. Not to mention they are excellent sources of natural electrolytes, sodium and potassium. You can almost see how healthy this soup is for you by its radiant color. This soup contains antioxidants that come from the rich-red pigment of the beets and orange glow from the butternut squash (remember that the more color, the more nutrients).
I used fresh parsley to garnish this soup, but other herbs and spices like chili, turmeric, basil or cilantro (or any others) would also add extra flavor to this soup.
- 2 medium celeriac roots, peeled and chopped into big chunks
- 1 beet (beetroot), peeled and chopped into big chunks
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 inch (5 cm) piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups (325 ml) water (add more for thinner consistency)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- herbs or spices of your choice (parsley, basil, cilantro), as garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Wash all produce well.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat then add chopped celeriac, beet, butternut squash, apple, ginger, and water and cook on medium/high heat for 5-10 minutes or until water is boiling.
- Once water boils turn heat to medium/low, cover and continue to cook for about hour or until the vegetables are soft.
- Once ingredients are softened, add herbs and spices along with salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Remove pot from heat and add through blender or food processor or use an immersion blender.
- Garnish with extra fresh or dried herbs and serve.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.