In the most recent episode of The Joe Show, I join Joe to whip up my favorite Superfood Smoothie. It’s loaded with six different superfoods to keep your body energized, balanced and full of nutrients. I have it almost once a day and always feel amazing after drinking it!
Watch the episode:
Why do I love superfoods?
Superfoods are believed to contain a higher level and broader range of nutrients, more than any other foods. Many of these are considered to be adaptogens: a class of plants that not only ‘adapt’ to their environment to survive but adapt to the internal chemistry of your body to redress its imbalances. Most superfoods contain large amounts of sustenance to fuel and nurture the body which is why I always feel so energized after I drink this every day! The superfoods give your body essential fatty acids, proteins, minerals, digestive enzymes, antioxidants and vitamins. The adaptogenic properties indirectly target the nervous systems, balancing damaging levels of estrogen, insulin and cortisol (hormones that significantly increase weight gain).
I prefer to buy the ingredients in this smoothie in bulk at my local health food store, but you can also find them on Amazon.
- 1 – 2 cups (235-475 ml) almond milk: I prefer 2 cups because it makes it less thick but if you prefer thick smoothies, stick to 1 cup.
- ½ frozen banana: high in potassium to promote bone health
- 1 tbsp cacao powder: great source of magnesium and a “good mood brain food”
- 1 tbsp chia seeds: balances blood sugar, anti-aging, antioxidant and energy enhancing
- 2 tbsp goji berries: high in vitamin C and antioxidants
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds: a good source of vegan protein containing all the essential amino acids
- ½ tbsp maca powder: a hormone-balancing food, strength builder, and natural aphrodisiac
- 1 tsp cinnamon: helps to stabilize blood sugar levels
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in high-powered blender and blend on high for about 45 – 60 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutrition per serving:
- Fat15 g
- Saturated Fat2.5 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Sodium330 mg
- Carbohydrates41 g
- Fiber13 g
- Sugars15 g
- Protein 13 g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.