There’s no secret that I love my oatmeal — especially after a tough morning workout. The secret to my oatmeal is that I make sure to add adequate healthy fat and protein so that it’s a balanced and satisfying meal that powers me for the day. The addition of the healthy fat and protein also helps to promote muscle recovery and balanced blood sugar as well.
Try serving this oatmeal with four to six ounces of your favorite protein smoothie (try this post-workout berry one!) for an even more balanced and pro-recovery meal. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- Dash salt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup blackberries (or other berries)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut shreds
- 1-2 tbsp walnuts
- (optional) honey for sweetening
- Add oats, water and salt to a small pot and bring water to boil.
- Once the water boils, add chia seeds and mix into the oats and water mixture. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until oatmeal is of desired thickness.
- Serve oatmeal into bowl and garnish with toppings.
- Add optional sweetener if desired — then eat and enjoy!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Total time: 5-10 minutes
Servings: 1 serving
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.