You might look at this recipe and think these ingredients make an unlikely pairing but oh, it’s a delicious one! Step out of your comfort and try this combination the next time you’re making a green smoothie.
I love adding herbs into any smoothie or juice for not only the wonderful flavors they offer but also for their amazing medicinal powers. Basil (Ocimum basilicum) is revered for its anti-aging compounds — researchers found that basil was effective at actively searching for and eliminating harmful molecules and protecting against damage caused by some free radicals in key organs such as the heart, liver and brain! Basil is also known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial benefits. So take the time to enjoy the wonders of this amazing herb, and of course all of the other delicious ingredients.
If you’re a basil fan, then you’ll also love all of these amazing recipes that include that beautiful herb!
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut water
- 1 lime
- 1 thick slice of pineapple
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 handful of sweet basil leaves
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 handful of ice
- 1 stevia leaf (see below for alternate sweeteners)
- Wash all produce well.
- Peel the lime then juice it with a citrus juicer or throw in whole.
- Add all the other ingredients into the blender for 45 – 60 seconds until smooth and enjoy!
- Lime – lemon, grapefruit
- Pineapple – apple, pear
- Spinach – lettuce, kale, broccoli
- Sweet basil – coriander, mint
- Cucumber – celery, celery root
- Stevia leaf – pinch of stevia, honey, rice malt, date
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.