Most of the protein bars I have tried from the grocery stores taste like they have chemicals in them. They taste pretty good at first bite, but there’s something about the aftertaste that’s just not very settling. After reading their label it’s obvious why (most of them do contain chemicals to help improve the flavor and support a longer shelf life). Protein bars can be a great, balanced snack for when you’re on the go or to enjoy after a rigorous workout, but not if they are full of ingredients that we don’t count as whole foods. That’s why it’s best to make your own! These bars are so easy to make, you don’t even have to pop them in the oven. They taste so good and are the perfect balanced snack to make for a busy week ahead. If you’re into making your own bars at home, we also have these delicious Almond Butter Berry Granola Bars that are to die for.
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free oats
- 2 large scoops of Reboot with Joe Protein Powder (or other protein powder of your choice)
- 1 – 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey (may want to add in 1 – 2 more tbsp if you want a sweeter bar)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add oats to a food processor and process until a fine flour is formed. You can also purchase oat flour but will only need 1 ¼ cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, protein powder and sea salt together.
- Add in the almond butter, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of almond milk and vanilla and keep stirring until smooth. Stir well to combine. If the mixture seems dry, add another splash of almond milk and continue to mix until smoothie.
- When mixture is complete, press it into an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper. You can use your hands but a pastry roller will give you a nice smooth look.
- Place the pan into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the bar mixture is freezing, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a small pot over low heat. Do not heat too long, you’ll want a few whole chocolate chips still remaining so it doesn’t get too runny. Remove from heat and then stir until smooth.
- Remove bar mixture from freezer and slice into 8 bars. Drizzle the melted chocolate over each bar from side to side with a spoon. It does not need to look perfect!
- Add bars back into the freezer for 30 minutes before serving. To store the bars, keep them in the freezer in a container for up to one week.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes (freezer)
Total time: 1 hour
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2.5g
- Protein 8g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.