This tasty salad is quick and easy to make. It’s a healthy, nutrient-dense, colorful choice for your Reboot, when you are including solid foods, like before and after your just juice days. After your Reboot, you can make this salad a complete meal by adding in chopped walnuts and quinoa. One bowl provides 20% of the recommended intake for calcium and iron.
Red cabbage is in season this month in many parts of the US and across the globe. This beautiful vegetable is a good source of the important and essential nutrient, choline. Choline is vital for all cells to maintain a healthy membrane barrier. It is also essential for our organ systems such as liver, kidney, muscle and nervous system during development and for proper maintenance throughout life.
- 2 cups kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (~1/4 tsp each)
- Cut kale (Australian tuscan cabbage) off of stems and chop. (Save stems for juicing!).
- Chop red cabbage, tomato and avocado.
- Mix together in a bowl.
- For the dressing: Blend the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, basil, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp dressing and toss.
- Save remaining dressing for other salads or as a marinade for grilled or roasted veggies!
- Nutrition per serving:
- Fat10 g
- Saturated Fat1.5 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Sodium95 mg
- Carbohydrates49 g
- Fiber10 g
- Sugars25 g
- Protein 8 g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.