I love simple and healthy salads. This one combines fresh and raw ingredients with roasted parsnips (so sweet and tasty!) for an easy-to-assemble, nutrient-packed lunch or snack. The kale is loaded with healthy B-vitamins and iron as well as fiber and liver-healthy compounds. Strawberries are a source of anti-inflammatory anthocyanin and pumpkin seeds are a source of thyroid-healthy selenium and zinc.
The dressing on the salad is a light olive oil and lemon vinaigrette but can be altered as well to suit other tastes. Try adding different herbs and spices to change the flavor profile of the dressing. Enjoy this tasty and delicious salad on its own, or use it as a base and add a lean protein, such as chicken or fish.
For the Salad:
- 2 cups baby kale (or other greens)
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 3 medium/large parsnips roasted and diced
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- (optional) 1/3 avocado, diced
For the Dressing:
- Juice of 1/ lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp oregano
- Dash salt and pepper
- Wash and prepare salad ingredients.
- In a serving bowl, layer all of the salad ingredients for serving.
- In a separate smaller bowl mix together the salad dressing ingredients using a whisk or a fork.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad and toss with a fork or a spoon.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 1 serving
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.