Homemade coconut milk is a great alternate to buying expensive pre-made milks or using canned coconut milk. It’s important to buy a good quality 100% shredded coconut that hasn’t had any sweeteners or preservatives added.
Use your homemade coconut milk as a a great base for smoothies like this Pina Colada Smoothie, ice creams (you have to try this Strawberry Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream), or simply enjoy it as a creamy drink! My little 16 month old loves this in his bottle at night. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups (150 g) shredded coconut
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of 100% stevia or 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- In a high speed blender blend all the ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth, pour the milk into a bowl and squeeze out the milk until you have only dry coconut meal. (This meal can be used in muffins, cookies or left in the milk for texture).
- Store coconut milk in an airtight container. Use within 3-5 days. You can also freeze this for later.
- Water – Coconut water
- Shredded coconut – any type of dried coconut, fresh coconut meat and coconut water
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.