This is a great comfort dish without the heavy ingredients that is normally present in a cottage pie. This dish is loaded full of phytonutrients, fiber and protein. I normally use a steamed cauliflower mash but I had to use the Garlic Cauliflower Mash which really topped this dish off perfectly!
- 1 ½ cups (215 g) of black eyed beans
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cup (230 g) pumpkin, cubed
- 3 cups (24 oz/700 ml) of vegetable stock
- 2 tsp oregano (dried or 1 Tbsp. fresh)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley, handful, chopped
- 14oz (400g) of tomato passata or canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
Cauliflower Mash (pie top) : Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- ½ cup (60 g) Natural Almond Meal
- Light drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt and pepper to taste
- The night before, rinse the beans under cold water and soak overnight in cold water.
- Rinse the beans under fresh water and add them to a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and cook for 1 hour (Adding a stick of kombu to cook can improve digestion). Rinse again once cooked and remove kombu. Optional: mash beans a little.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Slowly cook the oil, onion and garlic on medium-low heat until soft
- Add beans, celery, carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, stock, herbs, tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30minutes. Can add more water if needed.
- In a casserole dish, add all the bean tomato mix then top with the garlicy mash.
- Optional step: sprinkle with natural almond meal and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 40 mins or until slightly brown on the top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2.5 g
- Protein 8g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.