Obese, Homeless AND Determined

1 2 3 16 17 18

New Home Page Community Real Change Obese, Homeless AND Determined

This topic contains 371 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by VivianBloomfield VivianBloomfield 11 months, 1 week ago.

VivianBloomfield
VivianBloomfield
Participant

Wasn’t sure what Life Forum to start my thread….so Real Change made most sense because that’s what I am going through in life right now. I needed to make some real tough “big girl” decisions. Like most Americans the Recession hit me, stripping me of my job and robbing me of every savings I did have, including my 401k. I DID find a new job right before my unemployment ran out. However, it pays me HALF of what I was making 4 years ago and LESS than what I was collecting on unemployment. As a result of relying on food banks during the 2 years I was unemployed, my weight piled on (I’m sure the stress helped with packing on the fat). I realize if I don’t do something drastic, I WILL die. I’m 5’5″ and weigh 345! CRAZY!!! So, it came down to HOW can I survive. The only logical answer was to give up my apartment and live in my car. I secured a storage unit for $75/month (I joke and tell myself it is the walk-in closet I’ve dreamed of my whole life). I joined a local chain gym costing me $10.90/month which is open 24/7 allowing me access to cardio equipment and a daily shower. I will have a budget of about $50-60/week for produce. I know that doesn’t sound like much BUT a local grocery store has a reduced produce rack I intend to visit each day, especially since I won’t have access to a fridge. I WILL have access to an electric outlet in the early morning hours so I can juice for the day and take it with me in the cooler I plan to purchase at the local Walmart. The local convenience store will let me have a LARGE cup of ice for twenty-five cents. I already own a Champion Juicer from years back so I feel one step ahead of the game:)!

As of September 1st, I will be a “working homeless” or as I refer to my journey as “Homeless For My Health”. I figure starting August 1st will give me some time to figure out juices I like so when 9/1 rolls around, it won’t be too much of a stress while trying to adjust to my living situation.

I feel having a laptop and internet access at the library and hopefully some support from this forum I will succeed at turning my ENTIRE life around so I CAN be in an apartment again. Right now, I am trying to treat this as an amazing adventure. A once in a life time opportunity:)! I know HALF the battle at succeeding at ANYTHING is having a positive mind and belief in yourself:)!

I will try to post each day. I’m also trying to create a blog so that I can share pics and stats of my journey along the way.

Thanks for reading my post:)! *D*B*A*,
Vivian Bloomfield:)!

Author Posts
Author Posts

angel_gal_wendy
    Participant

I look at it this way — we all have our burdens. Not all of them are physical. Some are mental/emotional. Sounds like someone with a personality disorder is just out and about, stirring things up.

Let it roll right off your back, Vivian. You are inspiring many more “Pearls” than you’ll ever know, simply by sharing your story.

Hugs,
    Wendy

The greatest expression of rebellion is joy. ~Joss Whedon
    You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

fairybelieve
    Participant

Hi Vivian
    I was sent this in an email today and I just wanted to share it as it struck a cord with me :)

Life will hit you in waves. Sometimes you’ll be on top of the wave and sometimes it will pull you down and threaten to drown you. Surrender to the current when you are tired and rise again for air when you can. There is always a way back to shore
    FairyB x

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

{{{{{Wendy}}}}}}}} and {{{{{{{Fairy B}}}}}}}}…:)! THANK YOU both for your words:)! Embracing my hiatus with open an open heart; accepting all the good and abundance the Universe has to offer:)! Excited to post come Fall on a weekly basis:)!

Leafy Greens and LOTS of LOVE,
    Vivian:)!

happy-joyous-free
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Vivian, as I was heading over to my neighbor to post (it’s been a few days) I saw your name so just wanted to say hello to you and all who follow this thread! I’ll never be able to adequately express what a true lifeline this thread was/is for me personally. During those early dark days of detoxing through the shock of juice fasting (yikes! nutrients entering my cells! what to do?!), reading and re-reading your words propped me up and convinced me to reach deep down inside and keep going for yet ONE more day.

Thank you! Can’t wait for Fall to read more good stuff!

Juice on!!!

Ben

P.S. Thanks to your nutritional advice, I have some good news to post in my thread! :-)

[/url]
    VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Greetings to ALL:)!

Stopped by to say hello:)! I’m enjoying my summer and hope everyone else is also enjoying theirs, too:)! Working hard in ALL areas if my life AND loving the growth in the process:)!

Looking forward to chatting come Fall:)!

Vivian Bloomfield

http://www.homelessformyhealth.blogspot.com

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

MMMMMMMM, it’s the smell of Fall and the delicious joy of officially having Saturdays off starting next week:)! HELLO FALL:)! HELLO fellow juicers:)! Summer was hectic, busy and exhausted me mentally, emotionally AND physically! I feel BLESSED to now only be working 6 days a week:)! WAHOO:)!

I look forward to giving at least a weekly update (on Saturdays) of my journey, as always I welcome the visits to my “home” on my blog “www.homelessformyhealth.blogspot.com—I’m also adding a new blog (www.whatiatealongtheweigh.blogspot.com) to offer more detail in to what I an doing to lose the weight while being homeless at the same time. The blog will not officially be up until, fingers crossed, next Saturday, Sept. 7th.

Update to follow next week…this week, I welcome the Fall with a 7 day water feast:)! Pay day, this Friday, next week, I get to juice feast….WAHOO:)! Life just rocks, doesn’t it:)!?!?!?!?

AHHHH:)! feels great to back:)!

Leafy Greens and LOTS of LOVE:)!
    Vivian Bloomfield is back in the patch (get it, veggies=juice–garden patch?:)–yeah, I’m a dork and PROUD of it, too…lol:)!

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Hello Year Two! “Bye-bye” 550+lbs–NEVER taking up residency in you again! 285 pounds gone:)! I see the finish line in the NEAR distance:)! ONLY 120 pounds separating me from a healthy weight (according to my BMI). I say, “LET THE COUNT DOWN BEGIN!”—WAHOOOOO:)!

Keep it juicy and keep it flowing:)!

http://www.whatIatealongtheweigh.blogspot.com

fezziwig
    Participant

Hi Vivian,

Welcome back! We’ve missed you. Glad you had a good summer. Congrats on your wonderful progress. I look forward to your weekly updates.

Fezziwig

[/url]
    VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

MMMWAH }}}}}} (kiss and a hug) to you Fezzi:)! WOW!! LOOK at you! 91 pounds down:)!!!! You are SOOOOOOOOOOOO close to the Century Club (100 pound( mark! GOOOOOO Fezzi! You MUST be feeling incredibly AMAZING:)!!!! ONLY 59 to go—WAHOO:)! I have twice as much to go BUT I can SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO see that finish line, just as I’m sure you can, too:)!

On lunch break right now, but going forward I WILL be checking in weekly on Saturdays, my day off, part of the Revisions for HY2 (Homeless Year 2-lol!), is walking during my lunch break, to burn calories, but more so for the knee which is doing SO well:)! I’ve also ditched using the elevator! Today was day 1 of the 5 flights of steps….OUCH! and huff and puff at the top may I add, too—lol:)! Being homeless, I tend to carry TOO any satchels, bags, etc, so I will need to rethink this, at least until I get in condition for ALL those steps:)! ALSO, no more front row parking! (I know, am I making myself exercise or what)—I parked across the parking lot, which is on an incline–truly a glutton for punishment:)!

I just feel good, and with the knee healed s nicely (VERY little to no pain) NOW is the time to get the exercise in I missed during HY1 (Homeless Year 1-lol). Yes, little tweaks and changes—it’s ALL about progress, not perfection:)!

Talk with you ALL THIS Saturday (WAHOO:)!–my first official Saturday back off, may I add again another resounding WAHOO:)!!!!!!!!!

“The Plant Powered Princess and The Queen of Greens”….lol:)!

CindyAnn
    Participant

I am sooooooo excited your back! I look for your post each day hoping to hear all about your journey to health! I am very inspired by your outlook and attitude!

Grateful for your willingness to share!

Cindy Ann

Health and Veggies to ALL :) [/url]
    VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Greetings fellow green Goddesses and Adonises :) !

IT is GORGEOUS here today:)! Fall is SO in the air and I am LOVING it:)! AND today is my FIRST official Saturday off—WAHOO:)! I must admit though, I worked yesterday from 8am until Saturday 1am. I did my normal 8-4pm job; then had my Friday night client 5-9p and then helped out with a client, who was admitted into the hospital,, from 9:30 pm until 12:30 am. I last recall my cellphone clock state 2;15am before I fell asleep BUT so excited to enjoy my day off, I was up at 8am. I AM feeling a bit tired (do to lack of sleep) BUT the weather outside on the ground or side has me feeling like I’m 5 again:)! Good thing leaves aren’t on the ground yet, because YES, I would be rolling around in them…lol:)!

Well, I’m down another 8 pounds since this past Monday:)!…NOW, I just have to remember how to update my ticker! ONLY 112 more pounds to go to be considered a “healthy” weight for my height:)! I think I’ll attempt a cartwheel when I hit 199—WOW! to be back in the 100′s (FOREVER)–AHHHHH:)! TOTAL BLISS folks:)!

This week was a combination of water feasting and juice feasting. I’m working on my other blog “WhatIateAlongTheWeigh.blogspot.com” to with more detail about this part of my journey while homeless.

Well, don’t mean to be brief but looking at the window from the Hampton Inn Hotel Lobby and the tree branches are waving at me to come on out:)! AND I think I will oblige in celebration of Saturdays to myself once again:)!

“The Plant Powered Princess and The Queen of Greens”….lol:)!

p.s. will work on the ticker update:)!

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Okay, good news, got the ticker up….”bad” news I calculated my healthy weight wrong:(! I apparently gave myself an extra inch! (hmmmm, maybe THAT’S my weight problem, I’m vertically “impaired, causing my weight to be in excess…lol:)! Anyhow, I’m still TOTALLY focused! 285+ pounds FOREVER gone:)!….may I be the broken record—”PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION” allows results:)! Living each day and learning from it one second at a time:)!

Also, a quick update with finances (will cover it in my blog, too whatiatealongtheweigh.blogspot.com I have $25.00 per week for food. As I stated earlier MANY tweaks to HY2 (homeless year 2) in order to achieve goals. So, this will be challenging and YES, I’ve been pushed to think “outside the box”. More to share in my blog about HOW I plan to accomplish just that:)!

Next Saturday, is the goal to have my other blog up:)!

Toodles for now—enjoy the rest of this GLORIOUS weekend:)!

“The Plant Powered Princess a.k.a. ” The Queen of Greens”….lol:)!

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Hello:)!

So sorry for the silence here and on my blog. CRAZY 2 weeks in September! I will try to update this week, if not by Saturday:)! thanks for all the visits from here on my blog:)! I’m working on the other blog, which focuses on exactly what I’m doing to regain my health while homeless:)! It’s not a matter of needing time but having access to internet to update!…so humbling:)! I dream of the day I have my own place again WITH internet access ANY time:)! My goodness WHAT a wonderful thought:)!

Wishing everyone well…hope your enjoying this first weekend of Fall…WAHOO:)! I’m off to work:)!

“The Plant Powered Princess a.k.a. ” The Queen of Greens”….lol:)!

Natalie62
    Participant

Wow, Vivian, I usually hang out in the Group Reboot area and never even noticed the Real Change heading until today. Not sure what drew my eye to it but boy am I glad I decided to check it out. After reading your story (and I WILL be following your blogs too) I will refer anyone who makes excuses about why they “want to try juicing but just can’t” to you. Talk about no excuses!!!! I have myself and my 2 youngest daughters (17 and 19) on modified juice fasting – they are modified jf and I am full on jf and I whine and worry if I have less than $150 for a week of produce! I have seen SO many people say they can’t afford this. From now on, my response will be, read Vivian’s blog and then tell me that again! SO inspired by you on SO many levels. God bless you and your journey!

ttp://brandnewnatshell.blogspot.com/ [/url] Visit my weight-loss blog!
    VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Hi All:)!

Natalie: WOW! SOOOOOOOOOOO cool you are getting your daughters NOW at their young ages to start juicing:)! WAHOO:)! WHAT an incredible mom:)! AND 33.4 lost–WAHOO:)! Thank you for your kind words regarding my journey:)! this September has been a difficult/emotional month for me (yes, I WILL be blogging about it shortly). I’ve learned so much about myself in my first year of being homeless and I KNOW the lessons will be packed in the next 12 months that I face being homeless. I am sharing what I learn as best I can along the way. Time constraint an access to the Internet are my 2 big hurdles in not being able to blog/share each day. BUT I am one to think outside the box and feel within each problem lies opportunity (and a solution)—so I have once again thought hard and long on my day off yesterday to re-tweak my plans for October. One thing for sure, FEAR can make us freeze! I think perhaps it’s a test from my Higher Power…trusting, having faith and believing in ourselves are the KEYS to succeeding at ANYTHING in life. With that said, LOVE is my focus in October! LOVING ourselves can conquer ANY obstacle:)!

With THAT said…I wish you and anyone reading MUCH LOVE in your life (and JUST as many greens:)!)!..lol:)!

Marjie
    Participant

Vivian, you’re an inspiration! You’ll make it happen!

VivianBloomfield
    VivianBloomfield
    Participant

Greetings:)!

I’m THRILLED to have off tomorrow from work…paid holidays..WAHOO:)! THANK YOU Christopher Columbus for your adventure gene! In fact, Christopher Columbus made me stop and analyze my funky feelings thru Sept and the first half of Oct. (read my blog for details). Hanging at my desk at work is ONE of my favorite quotes (I LOVE quotes and keep a written journal on them and share them in my blog posts). Anyhow, it reads “you’ve got to be able to take risk, you’ve got to be able to make sacrifice, and you’ve got to be passionate about what you’re doing.”…this is also on one o my BB walls, eye level so I see it every morning.

It just hit me today, the funky feeling is my worrying about things! Wow, telling the Universe I don’t believe in it, is like saying I don’t believe in me! For one thing, I can’t control if the state will eliminate my current job with the non-profit BUT I can keep working as hard as I do and mentioning to many people as I bump into this may be the case! In fact, by doing so, I received a text from a fellow co-worker who stated his department is creating a coordinators job and he feels I would be a great candidate for it! Coincidence? No, I believe it’s the Universe gently telling me everything is and will be okay, just relax, believe and carry forward with my goals/dreams.

This is hard for me, especially considering my circumstances, but I also realized I’m allowing it to effect me by consuming starch plant-based foods (personally not good for me), and not walking, reading, blogging, etc..basically punishing myself body, mind and soul! Defeating ALL that I set out to do when I chose my health over my home!

It also hit me hard, the one thing I CAN control are my thoughts and what I put on my mouth, (as well as what comes out of my mouth)….I KNOW through TONS of reading how to become a physically healthy person and as continue to utilize my local library, I will help my mind and soul to join my crusade of self-healing and self-love:)! Knowing health/happiness is priceless and I have TOTAL control over how much good health and abundance of happiness I can have without ANYONE keeping it from me other than myself, let me tell you I feel like I’m floating HIGHER than the fluffiest white cloud floating above in that brilliant blue sky just above my head:)!

I’ve had to cut my food budget back to $25/week since giving up Saturday for ONE day rest! Well, I just gave myself the biggest kick in the butt to wake up and utilize that time for self-care/self-love! NOT withdrawing deeper into myself and worry! Some times you just need a real “AHA!” moment to get the momentum going again!

It’s easy to come up with excuses like not having internet access, until I have a heart to heart talk with myself and say “nope, there is ALWAYS a solution!”….thinking outside the box has always been something I was good at….the local Hampton Inn has a great lobby I’ve crashed a couple times without issue.

So, tomorrow as I get the oil changed on my car, I have some serious time scheduling to figure out with how to spend the time away from work to fit in what I need mentally, emotionally, and physically for my boy, mind and soul to be on one happy united page where I feel complete happy and whole:)!

I’m looking to having my other blog up soon http://www.whatIatealongtheweigh.blogspot.com as it will focus on what I’m feeding my body, mind and soul. In my gut, I KNOW the union of this Trinity is what gives us optimal health as well as total bliss for a long healthy life:)!

I know I babble but I also know my words will come together to help not just me but others….I was half awake and half asleep last week with these words ran through my thoughts, “My pen is my power and my words are my legacy”. Seriously, I thought someone was in the BB with me and got scared! I looked around and realized I indeed was alone and these words came from within me! Talk about a profound moment! Part of my Trinity, perhaps ALL of it, is clearly giving me a kick in my shrinking butt..lol:)!

wishing everyone a wonderful weekend and encourage you to seek out a personal discovery about yourself over this long weekend Holiday:)!

http://www.whatIatealongtheweigh.blogspot.com

1 2 3 16 17 18