FAQ – What about Constipation?
Q: What can I do about bowel irregularities during my Reboot?
A: It is not unusual to experience either constipation or diarrhea during the Reboot process. Read these tips below to help alleviate symptoms and keep your digestion on track.
Constipation is defined as difficult, incomplete, or infrequent bowel movements. Drastic changes to ones eating pattern can cause the rate of digestion to slow for some people. Common culprits that can trigger constipation during a Reboot include:
• Lack of hydration
• Rapid increase in fiber intake
• Decreased physical activity
• Underlying tendency toward constipation (including history of irritable bowel syndrome)
Start with the 3 Ws: water, walking & wheat grass juice. If this doesn’t do the trick check out these tips:
• Drink 6 ounces of warm prune juice in the morning. You may add lemon for taste.
• Increase your morning hot herbal tea/lemon water portion to at least 16 ounces – if you
already drink this amount bump it up to 20-24.
• Increase your total daily fluids – aim for 96 ounces total per day.
• When you are in the eating days of your Reboot choose a hot breakfast (i.e. Cherry Cinnamon Apple Bake, Baked Apples/Pears)
• Eat regular meals/drink juices at same time each day – including weekends.
• Add papaya to your juices/fruit dishes (papaya has natural digestive enzymes that may help with constipation). Try eating or juicing papaya first thing in the morning. If constipation is problematic for you, even during the juicing phase of your Reboot you may try a few slices of whole, raw papaya on an empty stomach in the morning.
• Try wheat grass juice.
• Bump up the magnesium-rich veggies in your daily routine – juicing and eating days (i.e. spinach, swiss chard, beet greens, avocado)
• During the eating phase of your Reboot, add high fiber fruits/veggies like dry figs, stewed prunes with lemon, artichoke, fresh peas, pear, spinach, winter squash, avocado, carrots, apple.
Try this recipe:
1/3 cup unprocessed bran
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup mashed stewed prunes
- Blend all ingredients and store in refrigerator.
- Take 1-2 Tablespoons of the mixture before bedtime, followed by 8+ oz. water.
- Make sure to drink the water or it will not work.
• Give yourself enough time at home to move about and get ready for your day before heading out. Create a morning routine. Take a walk 2-3 times a day (these can be short walks).
• Try yoga, tai chi or Qi Gong as a daily practice.
If these measures prove inadequate to address your bowel regularity – please add a smoothie blend to your day of juicing. It is recommended to have this blend at lunch. The blend includes whole fruits and vegetables to provide you with fiber to assist in alleviating constipation.
Gradually increase the fiber in your diet by following the recommended preparation process before your Reboot. Be sure to also drink more water as you prepare for a Reboot.
Remember – while you can expect to experience some bowel irregularity during your Reboot, if your symptoms persist or are severe, please consult your physician.