Cereal is one of those foods that has always been recognized as a breakfast staple. It’s too bad the “cereal aisle” in the grocery store is typically filled with processed, sugary cereals that are meant to taste like dessert! I used to be a huge cereal fan in college because it was so easy to scarf down before heading out the door. And I thought I was eating the “healthy” ones because that’s what the box said! Once I learned that most are full of processed ingredients that I can hardly pronounce I stopped eating cereal and started drinking more juices and smoothies in the morning. Well sometimes I want to switch it up, and to be honest I miss the simplicity of cereal! Thank goodness for chia seeds, because now they help me get my cereal fix while loading up on this mini superfood that leaves me full all morning. When I wake up, I’ll just add the chia seeds to homemade almond milk with the other ingredients and pop it in the fridge until I’m ready to enjoy my breakfast.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup (8 oz/125 ml) homemade almond milk (if you want a thicker consistency similar to oatmeal, use less almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Dash of Himalayan Salt
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup or 5 drops of stevia
- Optional toppings: with almonds, raisins, nut butter, coconut oil, etc.
- Add all ingredients into bowl.
- Stir well until evenly mixed.
- Place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with more cinnamon and enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 5g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.