I absolutely love oatmeal. I start my day every day with oatmeal, as I find that it helps my digestion, keeps me full and gives me energy for the day. I’m always trying to find new and delicious recipes for oatmeal, and this was definitely one of my new favorites! The cooked-in apple makes it ultra delicious, but to keep it balanced with some healthy fat and protein I added walnuts and chia seeds too.
Are chia seeds a new pantry item for you? We’ve got exciting news: Our friends at Thrive Market — where every item is always 25% to 50% off retail — have a limited time offer to get a FREE bag of Thrive Market Chia Seeds along with a free trial membership.
Pair this delicious and colorful breakfast with your favorite juice or smoothie!
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup (50 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ apple, chopped (leave half of that for garnish)
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 2 strawberries, chopped
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Add salt to water then bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the rolled oats and lower heat to medium/low, stirring every few minutes.
- After about 5 minutes add chia seeds and ½ of the chopped apple and continue to stir for another 5-10 minutes or until the mixture becomes less watery and thicker.
- Remove from heat, pour into bowl and add cinnamon, walnuts, the rest of the apple, strawberries, and cinnamon as well as optional maple syrup.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 10g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.