I was in the mood to try something new and this tart was the perfect meal to embrace some creativity in the kitchen! You can’t go wrong with a nut-based crust with a delicious filling for a healthy, yummy and nutritious dish. I combined caramelized onions which are always enjoyable and beautifully sweet with the benefits of the kale which adds more color. This tart would also work well with sundried tomatoes or any other vegetable such as pumpkin, sweet potato chunks or eggplant or anything else you like. Enjoy!
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) cashews
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp cold coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 4 brown onions, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- sea salt, to taste
- 4 large kale leaves
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F & grease a 9-inch tart case.
- Grind the cashew nuts into a meal then add the remaining pie crust ingredients and blend well.
- Roll pastry between 2 pieces of parchment paper with a rolling pin then press into the tart case, or press the dough into the tart case with your fingers.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic, honey and a little salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to caramelize and become golden brown. This takes about 30 minutes over medium heat. You want the onions to be soft.
- Once onions are soft and brown add the kale, stock, vinegar and thyme and wilt the kale until its soft and mixed well, normally another 5-10 minutes.
- Fill the pie crust with the onion mixture and bake in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with savory cashew cream or regular organic yogurt.
- Cashews – almond meal or gluten free flour
- Thyme – rosemary
- Coconut oil – olive oil
- Maple syrup– honey
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat11g
- Protein 10g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.