Try a new combination when you make your next salad and use this recipe! It might sound crazy to combine blueberries with butternut squash but you will be delighted at the outcome. This salad is so tasty and also so easy to assemble. It can be a great side or main dish and it’s also loaded with heart-healthy fats from the avocado and almonds, along with antioxidants in the blueberries, squash and kale. Kale is also a great source of heart and digestive-healthy fiber. If you need even more reasons to enjoy kale as the base to this salad, make sure you find out all of its benefits here. If you have extra salad leftover, enjoy it the next day! When the kale wilts it tastes even better.
How good does this roasted butternut squash look?! And just think about how delicious it will be on top of a healthy salad.
Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 1 small/medium butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- 1 bunch curly kale (Tuscan cabbage)
- 1 small butternut squash, in cubes and roasted
- 1/2 cup (75 g) blueberries
- 1/4 cup (35 g) almonds
- 1/2 avocado, preferably one that is ripe so that it can be whipped into the dressing easily with a fork
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- dash of sea salt and pepper, to taste
To roast butternut squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Cut butternut squash in half and remove fleshy inside.
- Cut into small cubes and be sure to remove the outer skin.
- Place in a glass dish or on cookie sheet.
- Pour olive oil and seasoning over squash; rub the oil into the squash with your hands to ensure even distribution.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and set aside for salad-making process.
To make the salad:
- Wash the kale and remove it from the stalk- first slice the kale off of the stalk then cut it into 2-3” squares, place into large salad bowl.
- Wash the blueberries and add to salad bowl
- Add cooked butternut squash to salad bowl along with almonds.
To make the dressing & add to salad:
- With a fork, whip the ripe avocado in a small bowl until smooth
- Add olive oil, lemon juice and herbs and spices to the salad dressing mixture until even.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and massage the dressing gently with hands (like you’re giving someone a massage or see 7 steps here- http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/why-your-kale-needs-a-massage/) and massage through salad for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes (for butternut squash)
Total time: 50 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.