One of my all-time favorite Reboot recipes is the “Baked Zucchini with Tomatoes and Herbs”. I think it’s a perfect summer dish, when zucchinis and fresh herbs are abundant and at the peak of their season. So when zucchini and tomatoes showed up in my CSA box, I decided to revisit this old favorite.
Fresh and light, yet savory and satisfying, this dish is versatile and can be served hot or cold. It makes a great healthy side for your summer barbecue or a terrific dinner with mixed greens on the side.
It is also easy to substitute ingredients with this dish. For example, this time I used shallots instead of scallions. And any fresh herb will work in place of the celery and basil leaves.
Try this one this summer!
- 5 small Zucchini
- 4 Scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Celery Leaves (from inner stalks), chopped
- 4 tbsp Basil Leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini in half crosswise. Cut each half again lengthwise, and slice each of the halves into 4 equal, ½ inch pieces. They should look like sticks.
- In a bowl, mix together the zucchini sticks with the white parts of the scallions, onion, tomatoes, celery leaves and basil.
- Mix in the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour into a 3 quart baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with the sliced green tops of the scallions and the extra chopped basil.
- Onion/Scallion – Shallot
- Basil/Celery Leaves – Any Fresh Herb
Total time: 30 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.