We love hummus! It’s packed with fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium and healthy fats. We pumped up our hummus even more with fresh veggies like carrots, beets, and asparagus – not only making it colorful but fun to eat! We created a Roasted Carrot, Beautiful Beet and Mellow Asparagus Hummus.
Here’s the recipe for the Mellow Asparagus Hummus. If you want to try to the beet and carrot hummus, just roast 2 beets* and/or a half bunch of carrots* in place of or in addition to the asparagus!
- 1 can (16 oz) organic chickpeas (we prefer Eden Organic brand, their cans are BPA-free!)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, roasted
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- Begin by preheating oven to 425F/218C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, spray lightly with olive oil.
- Wash and trim the asparagus. In a large bowl toss asparagus and shallot with olive oil, season with salt and fresh pepper. Lay onto baking sheet.
- Roast asparagus until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
*If you are roasting beets and/or carrots you will need to up the time to about 30 – 45 minutes.
- While the asparagus is roasting, make the hummus. Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a food processor, add the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with sea salt to taste. Add more lemon juice/olive oil as need to reach your desired consistency.
- When the asparagus has cooled add it to the hummus and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with lightly toasted whole grain pita.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.