Southern culture was a huge part of my childhood. I enjoy taking traditional recipes, like homemade fudge, and giving them a fresh, plant-based, healthy spin. We eat gluten-free at home, so grits are a natural choice for a hearty but healthy breakfast. While many enjoy a sweeter flavor in breakfast cereals, I’ve always reached for savory. I love making grits because they are super quick, easy and full of nourishment. I choose organic since they’re corn based, and love the naturally good source of fiber. Fiber is important for digestive health, appetite and weight regulation as well as helping reduce the risk of colon cancer (which runs in my family).
Enjoy this satisfying and nutrient-dense breakfast when you’re on the go or looking for an energizing simple meal or snack.
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup organic grits
- 3-4 large Brazil nuts
- ½ peach
- Pinch Himalayan or Sea salt
- Bring water to boil,
- Add grits, stir then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While grits are cooking, wash and slice peach.
- Chop Brazil Nuts.
- Remove grits from heat and scoop into bowl.
- Top with peach slices and chopped nuts. Add salt to taste.
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.